Owner-managed by Neil & Rhoda Campbell, the cottages have been built on Rhoda’s family croft in Scarista, which is now into the third generation of the same family. Neil was born and brought up on a croft in Skye. Both decided to move back to Harris when Neil sold his business and embarked on building the first five-star self-catering accommodation on Lewis & Harris.
The couple with their two children have built a house behind the cottages so that they could be available should guests need any help in making their stay a truly memorable world class experience. Neil and Rhoda feel it is important that they are on hand to welcome guests and ensure their stay is a memorable one. They can also source local produce such as scallops, langoustines and lobster. They can advise on the best walks and best places to eat. Rhoda is a fluent Gaelic speaker and happy to converse with you in the native tongue should you so wish.
Blue Reef Cottages provides a warm Hebridean welcome to the beautiful Isle of Harris.
As well as caring for the local environment, Blue Reef supports local businesses too. Guests are encouraged to use local suppliers who source the island’s seasonally-available foods including scallops, langoustines and lobster.
We are committed to giving our guests a five-star welcome, and to running our business in the most environmentally-friendly way possible. It’s by keeping both promises that we provide a world-class service in a world-class location.
These original stone and turf roofed cottages have received the following accolades over the last 20 years.
- Scottish Thistle awards winner – for Customer Care
- Highlands and Islands Tourism Awards- Customer Care
- Scottish Thistle award runner up – for Innovation
- Harpers Bazaar- Voted best for watching the midnight sun in the UK
- Coast magazine- voted one of the 10 most unusual places to stay by the sea
- Condé Nast Traveller – Top 10 cosy retreats.
- Independent Travel Magazine- one of 5 best British Beach Houses
- Marie Claire – Top 10 chic retreats.
- Observer – Top 15 Green places to stay
- Sunday Times – voted in the top 100 cool cottages.
- This Morning (ITV) – Featured in their slot on top UK Destinations
- Red Magazine – Best Uk mini breaks
- Flavours of Scotland -Travel Channel – Place to stay in the Outer Hebrides.
- Perfect Weddings and Scottish Wedding Directory – Top Honeymoon Destination.